Friday, September 18, 2009

Counting to 100

We got a new numbers book at Goodwill this week for 50 cents I think. It's in excellent condition and the kids love it. Don't ya love 1/2 off days?
Anyway, it goes all the way to 100 and Will loves it. He's been wanting to read it a lot lately and every time we get with the page that goes to 100 he wants me to count all the way to 100. The first time I figured- Why not? I thought he was probably a little young to catch onto counting all the way to 100 but I thought it'd still be good for him to hear it. I thought maybe the more he hears it the sooner he'll start hearing the pattern and learning it.
Well, the first time I did it he started counting with me and tried to keep up the whole way. He started getting better each time we did it, but I still thought he was just saying it with me and I wondered how much of it he was getting. So today I decided to write all the numbers down so he could see the pattern. But then after I got to 50 I had the idea that there might be a better numbers chart on the computer that would be easier to teach/ learn.
So I found some stuff. First I found a cool chart where you could color each number any color you wanted. So I think that really helped him to see that and color cordinate it as we counted, then we found a great counting song on YouTube.

THEN we found a great math/ numbers game/ chart. :) Here it is http://www.hbschool.com/activity/count/index.html
I think it really clicked with him today. It would count 54, 55, 56 then say what comes next? And he knew the answer 90% of the time. He really got it! I'm so proud of him that he's learning this at such a young age, and I thought those two things that I found were pretty cool things to help learn counting, and I wanted to share them with you. :)

No comments:

Will

Adalynn Kalena

Tessa Elise

Jaren Andrew