Of course when it says prayer for Jaren's name then whoever is holding him gives the prayer and when his name is under treat or activity then that means we decide as a family what it's going to be. So it's worked out- and someday he'll really be able to participate. But it's been so fun.
Here's how some of our family nights have gone:
Our first lesson was on Our Family and how our family is unique and special. We sang Love at Home, and I talked about some things I love about our family and how I love each one of them individually and why I love them (their talents, personality strengths, etc.) then each person went around and said compliments about the other family members. It was a great way to start off our family home evenings. We really felt the love and spirit in our home. Our family really felt bonded and everyone seemed so happy. Then of course they love having all of us sit together with a special treat. It was just a really nice time and it made the week go so much better.
The next week we had a lesson on The commandments and we talked about obeying rules and that if we keep the commandments we will be happy. We made it very simple. Then at the end we did a treasure hunt for the activity that was so much fun for the kids. Will had the activity this time and I suggested a treasure hunt b/c it was perfect for the lesson. He loved that idea. So we went to the computer and found pictures of a bed, a computer desk, a bathtub, a table, the crib, a dressor, a couch... then we printed them out and will cut them up and we set them up around the house.
So after the lesson I told them that we were going to practice following a rule to find a treasure. The rule is to follow the pictures, and I gave them the first clue (picture) it was of a bed. So they ran to Adalynn's bed and then there was a picture of a bus. Their tent bus was out and I thought they would have fun crawling in there to get the next clue. They did. :) Next, it was the computer desk, then the crib, etc...
They loved it. The last spot was where I put the "treasure" a gallon of ice cream! It's what they wanted for their treat so it worked both ways.
After they found the treasure, I told them that Heavenly Father’s treasure for us is happiness. His commandments are the clues or rules we must follow to gain his treasure of happiness.
Here are some other shorter recaps of our lessons: Adalynn talked about our heritage and Jesus heritage. She had magnets with pictures of Mom, Dad, and Me then pictures with Heavenly Father, Mary and Jesus. And she did great putting them in the right places and explaining them. Then she had other pictures about the life of Jesus which she did a great job talking about.
Tessa talked about "I am a child of God." A real short lesson. She did great.Will did a lesson on what to say in a prayer and we had 2 bags. He helped me to think of things that we are thankful for and things that we would ask for. We put pictures of the things we would ask for in one bag. Like a picture of a kid flexing muscles for healthy and strong, etc. Then in the thankful bag he put things from around the house like an article of clothing, a picture of our famly, a toy, a book, etc. He loved the bag part. And I let him draw some of the pictures, so he really liked that too.
Billy talked about contention one week, I talked about evidence of our Heavenly Father's love,
and one week we went to the temple and I talked about the temple on the way. That took a lot of time to go there on a Sunday night (we can't do mondays b/c of Billy's work) so we did the lesson and treat on the way there.
Here's some of the activities we've done:
The scavenger hunt, game night (uno), coloring (Adalynn picked Art), Hide and Seek at the park (Tessa's pick), the Temple (Jaren's pick), Movie night, art time again, charades, and on spring break we went to the zoo and counted that as our family activity. We came home and watched a movie together and had root beer floats. So that was a fun family day.
All together we are so happy we are doing family night now! We feel so much closer as a family,and love how the kids look forward to this special time every week. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment