Yes I cried! My baby's at school... and he'll be in school for a long time now- no going back. I can't believe it. But I love this picture of my handsome boy cheesin' it up. haha. He smiled that way in every picture- the biggest possible smile he could manage. And of course the girls wanted to wear their backpacks and be in the picture too. I love how in this one they have the same pose/ expression.
So here's the details of Will's first day of school:
I had a restless night sleep the night before and I think some others might have too- I sure heard Tessa moving around a lot (kicking the wall). Then they woke up at 5:40... um, no... I don't think so. I told them it was still night time and they went to bed only to come out again at 6:20, so I don't know if they really went back to sleep. They used to wake up at 7:30, but since Tessa's moved to Will and Adalynn's room it's been earlier. So anyway, we decided to start the day. I excitedly told Will it was his first day of school and we talked and talked about that. He was really excited to help me pack his lunch and get in his brand new school clothes, etc. (speaking of the school clothes- he has to wear either red or navy blue shirts, so I just bought the smallest size shirt from his school and thought they would work. I didn't even try them on him till the first day of school and they are really big. So I have ordered new ones that should fit him better from Walmart. com- only $4!... I guess I should have tried them on him sooner)
So we had an extra half hour or so after getting every one fed, dressed, teeth brushed and lunch made. It was kind of nice not too be so rushed. So I had some story time with Will and cuddled him as close as possible until I had to let him go... Then came the hard part. Our whole family got in the car b/c neither his Daddy or I wanted to miss saying goodbye to him at the school on his first day. Billy said goodbye to him at the car and I could tell he was getting a little emotional- which got me started! I walked him into the school where all too soon I met his teacher and had to hand my son over too her. *sniff, sniff* It's so hard. She's so nice and I think she is going to be an awesome teacher, but it's like "Here's my son that I love so much, take good care of him." Well, she let me have a moment to say goodbye to him. I gave him a big hug (didn't want to let him go) and told him that I love him and then said goodbye before he could see me ball. I tried to hold the tears in till I got to the car which is when I lost it. And then Tessa didn't help matters any by saying "Will, Will." over and over again. Finally when I could talk again I told her he was going to stay there for awhile.
Wow... I missed him. BUT on the flip side, it is so much easier at home with only two kids! Adalynn and Tessa play so good together when it's just the 2 of them. They still have high emotions so it does take work to parent them, and I like spending quality time with them throughout the day, but it is a lot easier with 2 kids (and soon I will change that- adding another one to the mix- I just didn't want to keep it simple. lol)
So yesterday when I picked up Will I was so happy to see him and he was happy too. He seemed overjoyed to be home and to tell me all about school and his teacher and what he did. He showed me something he had colored and we talked about the rules in his class (his teacher sent that home) and that got him started talking more about school. It was just so fun to hear all that he wanted to tell us, and I was so happy to have him home. And then I played with him for a little while and he was playing so nicely with everyone- it's like he appreciated us more b/c he was gone for the day.
This morning was easier and I am actually really happy that he's in school. I know he needed to go to school- he needs to socialize and make friends, and play and have the structure of the classroom setting. It's fun for him too. I can't wait till he starts learning how to read and I can't wait to see all the things he'll excitedly show me when he comes home from school. I think he is going to a great school. The principal is someone I have known for a long time, and he is awesome. The teacher is so great, and I love her system. They do language arts curriculm and then hands on stuff and then the math curriculm and then hands on/ application (which I think is play oriented for this age). Everything sounds great, and there's only 17 kids in his class! So I am happy with the school and Will is happy and I am looking forward to more time with my girls before the baby comes!




1 comment:
I felt so weird dropping Brooke off the first day of kindergarten last year, because I was so used to being the only one taking care of my kid. She walked in the class and didn't look back when I called to say goodbye. :( It is true that it is and becomes easier with the other one(s) at home. Less people to worry about all at once.
Post a Comment