Thursday, May 14, 2009

My random thoughts

The kids have a really big overstuffed extremely comfortable dog in their room, and every once in awhile when I have a really tired day, and I'm sitting in their room on the floor playing with them I just can't resist laying back on that dog.
But why is it that when I'm fighting going to sleep (like when I'm laying on the dog) I almost go to sleep... yet when I say I'm going to take a nap during their nap, I can't go to sleep? It's like when you fight sleep you can fall asleep but if you try to go to sleep you can't. (That's just during the day for me though, thankfully at night I don't have that problem) I just need to start getting more sleep at night and then I won't feel like catching up during the day.
There's just so much to do all the time! Sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I have to try to fit in time to spend with each one of my kids individually, and as a whole, I want to fit in time to teach them things and be with them, and then I need to find time to cook good healthy meals that take a lot of preparation, and to clean up those big meals, I have to find time to exercise, and read scriptures so that I can take care of myself inside and out, and then there's the endless list of chores... the laundry which seems never ending. I used to do laundry once a week, then it was twice a week, and now it literally feels like every day. I'll do two batches one day, two batches the next day, finish getting them all put away the next day, and maybe have one day break, but the day after there's already more to do. And the dishes and floors seem to be never ending as well. Lately I can run the dishwasher after the kids go to bed (yay! they're in bed, now onto the dishes) then the next morning, unload it after breakfast, load it after lunch, load it again after dinner, run it and do the pans after the kids go to bed. It's usually something like that. That's a lot of dishes, and if I skip a day then it's crazy the next day. Now the floors! Who would've thought I'd have to spend so much time to keep the floors clean. Who cares about the floor right? It's not that important... Yeah, right. If the WHOLE house is clean but I haven't done the floors in like 3 days it feels sooo messy. B/c those kids! I'll vacuum and mop one day (we have tile thru out) and by the end of the day the kitchen floor is a disaster with crumbs from meals and snacks. I can't wait till they learn how to be a little less messy. Oh, and Diapers, Diapers, Diapers. nuf said
And the list goes on and on w/ chores alone. Keeping up the house is a Full time job! And then taking care of 3 young kids is another FT job! Then taking care of myself (which I'm trying to do lately) is hard. It's so hard to find time for everything!
But that is the busy life of the Mom, right?
That's why I liked reading part of that book A Mother's Book of Secrets. It made me feel like I need to slow down and appreciate my kids more since they'll only be little once. But then... if I spend a whole day "appreciating things" how do I get the other things done that need to be done? There has to be a balance. And that's what I'm trying to find- the balance.
It feels like there's so many things to juggle, I have to prioritize and try to have somewhat of a schedule to follow every day to get seemingly basic things done. Now, if I had to add something else onto my plate (for instance Mommy and Me class, soccor practice, at home preschool) how am I supposed to do that?... and keep my sanity?
I'm sure I could add something else if I needed to. I am going to start doing preschool at home w/ Will 3 days a week. But... wow. Who would've thought life would get so hectic?

2 comments:

Dan and Wendi Roberts said...

Hang in there Teanne! You are doing a great job with your kids! They are always so happy and that says alot about their parents! As for the rest of the "stuff", I've learned that eventually these kiddos get older and start helping out. Even the little things they can do really help! I give my kids all a wet washcloth on some days and they each pick a row of tile to clean. Believe it or not, they enjoy it! Okay, so the younger ones enjoy it, the older ones have caught on that it really is just mom disguising another chore. I've given them all a spray bottle and a washcloth and have them work on the baseboards, walls or doors too. It keeps them busy for hours and cuts a few things off my list at the same time. Anyway, just know you really are doing a great job! In a few years they won't remember how clean or dirty your house gets, they will remember that they have a fun mom and, like Will told me during his interview about you, you are a fun mom "because you like to play with Pooh!" Ü

Anonymous said...

Gosh I wish I had your attitude. I get too overwhelmed with everything I don't ever have a clean house, I have surfaces clean but mopping and sweeping crumb after crumb its irritating. Awhg I wish I were organized like you. Well I will be moved in 2-3 weeks so I can't wait to see you, maybe we can share ideas!!!

Will

Adalynn Kalena

Tessa Elise

Jaren Andrew